The leading geological research center of Kazakhstan, the first academic research institute in the country. It was created in 1940. Conducts research in the field of stratigraphy, mineralogy, geochemistry of solid, liquid and gaseous systems, the study of mineral deposits and petroleum geology.
The founder and the first director was academician Kanysh Imantayevich Satpayev. Since 1964, the institute has been named after him. It was the scientists of the Institute who created the first geological map of East Kazakhstan. The data collected by the Institute's staff were included in the multi-volume edition of the "Geology of the USSR", edited by N.G. Kassin.
The Institute actively develops all areas of geological science, conducts research together with companies from CIS countries, carried out direct bilateral cooperation with China, Poland, Yugoslavia, USA, England, Japan, Turkey, Belgium. Scientists of the Institute take part in international geological forums, commissions on carboniferous stratigraphy and geology, paleontology, geochemistry, participated in international conferences on the study of clays and clay minerals, Precambrian tectonics, in symposiums on Ordovician and Silurian, in the assemblies of the International Geophysical Union, etc.
The Institute owns the largest geological collection in Kazakhstan within the geological museum. Nowadays the Institute is headed by Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, Professor, Academician of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan Zholtaev Geroy Zholtaevich.