1970 – formation of the department of Russian language;
1976 – division of the department into two parts: Department of the Russian language for students of Kazakh groups and Department of the Russian language for foreign students;
1992 – joining the department of the Russian language to the department of foreign languages;
1998 – joining the department of the Kazakh language;
2000 – separation of the department of Russian language as a distinct;
2016 – formation of the department of Kazakh and Russian Languages.
The head of the department is Uderbaev A.Zh.
- to provide high-quality educational services in accordance with national and international educational standards;
- to organize research activities of teachers in order to enhance their professional competence;
- to develop students’ intellectual and creative abilities, critical thinking, independence of judgment and academic honesty;
- to foster active citizenship and patriotic feelings.
- to organize level-by-level training in Kazakh and Russian languages;
- to use innovative educational technologies, advanced techniques and active forms of learning in the educational process;
- to develop and refine students’ linguistic and communicative competences within the major spheres of speech activity: social, socio-political, socio-cultural, educational and vocational;
- to establish elective courses in order to increase amount of educational programs;
- to promote the research environment and organize innovative activities of students;
- to implement the scientific research results of Department teaching staff into the educational process in practice;
- to organize the advisory work for students’ adaptation to study at the university and nurture their moral and professional qualities.
- department’s participation in the training of highly qualified, competitive specialists capable of demonstrating a high level of acquired knowledge, professional skills and possessing high moral qualities;
- department’s participation in the process of providing the university with a high status and world level.
- improving the organization of department’s work in order to create the most comfortable environment for effective creative and professional activities of the teaching staff;
- strengthening the competitive position of the department;
- providing high quality methodological educational services in accordance with national and international educational standards;
- development of students' research abilities, focusing on meeting their contemporary educational and intellectual needs;
- invention and implementation of modern innovative educational programs and technologies in educational activities, enhancement of content and teaching methods;
- a stable connection between educational, creative, scientific and productive purpuses in the activities of the department.
KRLD employs qualified scholars and teachers, 2 of them are doctors of sciences, 1 PhD, 9 candidates of sciences, 6 masters of sciences and 7 teachers with great pedagogical experience.
Since 2016-2017 academic year, the department has introduced a level-by-level teaching in Kazakh and Russian in accordance with Concept of Language Education of Kazakhstan.
Based on the results of diagnostic testing and oral interviews, the level of students' language competence is determined and study groups are formed due to knowledge levels. To ascertain proficiency level in Kazakh / Russian languages at the beginning of academic year, students undergo free written online testing at university website and oral interview in offices of Kazakh and Russian Language Department.
For Russian department students the following subjects are taught:
- Elementary Kazakh (A1)
- Basic Kazakh (А2),
- Academic Kazakh (В1),
- Business Kazakh (В2),
- Business Culture (С1),
- Rhetoric (Basics of Oratory – С1),
As for Kazakh department students:
- Elementary Russian (A1)
- Basic Russian (А2),
- Academic Russian (В1),
- Advanced Russian (В2),
- Business Russian (С1),
- Rhetoric (Basics of Oratory – С1)
“Kazakh language (in Latin)” elective course was prepared; the given one refers to special projects implementation in connection with Kazakh alphabet transition to the Latin one (2 credits).
The department organized the Kazakh language course (2 credits) for Satbayev University Military department teachers as well.
Scientific programs and projects
Kazakh and Russian languages Department carries out research work in the following areas: 1) Research projects; 2) Participation in scientific conferences; 3) Articles in journals; 4) SRWS (contests, conferences, Olympiads); 5) The work of teachers in scientific organizations (journals, etc.); 6) Review.
One of the priority areas of Department teachers’ research are the topics related to “Teaching Languages by levels at a technical higher educational institution” initiative project in connection with teaching languages based on levels in 2016 academic year.
Over the past few years, the department accomplished 2 funded projects.
In 2017 under the guidance of c.ph.s., ass. prof. Uderbayev A.ZH. the research work on “The Vitality of the Kazakh Language in a foreign language environment” scientific project (grant funding) has been finalized.
In 2017 under the guidance of Ph.D., prof. Zhaksylikova K.B. the research work on “Terminological Kazakh-Russian-English-Turkish-Chinese Dictionary on Hydrogeology and Geoecology” scientific project (grant funding) has been completed.
According to inspection results of RK SC MES, both projects received high points.
In 2018, in grant financing contest for scientific and technical projects for 2018–2020, “Innovations in special lexis on geology, geodesy, geography: unification and lexicography” theme (academic advisor, c.ph.s. Uderbayev A.Zh.) won the competition.
Scientific works of Department teaching staff
KRLD faculty conducts scientific and methodological research, the outcomes of which are issuances in national and foreign publications, introduction of research results into educational process (Turkey, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Russia and in RK editions as well).
Scientific and methodological workshop of KRLD
Every year the department conducts a training seminar for teachers. The purpose of the seminar is to familiarize teachers with modern educational technologies in teaching languages.
Agreement of intent was concluded with KazNRTU and Hanguk University of Foreign Languages (Seoul, Korea), Memorandum of Cooperation with KazNRTU and Kazan Federal University (Kazan, Russia). The department has academic relations with other Kazakh and Russian Languages Departments of other technical universities and A.Baitursynov Institute of Linguistics under RK MSHE SC as well.
Professor K.B. Zhaksylykova is a member of Methodological and terminological group under RK National Commission for State Program implementation on phased transition of the Kazakh alphabet to the Latin script; also, she is a member of REMC EMA at KazUIRWL after Abylaikhan; a member of “Herald” editorial board of KSPU after U. Sultangazin.
The work of clubs
The department has a cognitive club entitled «Semser» for Russian department students and "In principio erat verbum" ("There was initially A Word") Club, the members of which are Kazakh department first-year students.