September 20, 1933. Sovnarkom of the USSR adopts a resolution on the organization in the capital of Kazakhstan Almaty Kazakh mining and metallurgical Institute (KazGMI) with the inclusion of the Semipalatinsk geological exploration Institute. The deed was issued on 27 September 1933. All three courses of the Semipalatinsk geological survey Institute, composed of 121 students and the entire material-technical base was transferred to Kazmmi. So the Kazakh mining and metallurgical Institute was formed — the first University of the Republic, the first forge of engineering personnel of Kazakhstan.
The first head of Institute was appointed mining engineer Amir Janulewicz Burkitbaev. A graduate of the Ural-Kazakhstan industrial Academy, he made a huge contribution to the formation and development of the Institute with his inexhaustible energy and dedication. The school year at the new Institute began on September 1, 1934. 145 students started their studies, primarily from among those who were transferred from Semipalatinsk. But in October-November 1934 a new set of freshmen joined the Institute.
In 1960 KazGMI was transformed into the Kazakh Polytechnic Institute in connection with the development of industrial production of the Republic and the expansion of the range of specialties of mining and metallurgical direction. By the time of the reorganization, the Institute was already training engineers in 12 specialties.
Deans in different years were: - I. the Liner, I. Z. Slutsky, S. A. Karamullin, H. N. Nurmagambetov (1964-1980 years), J. S. Sadykov (1981-1986 gg), B. J. abylgazina (1987-1993 years), A. K. Kubasov (1994-2008), B. S. Baimbetov (2008-2011), K. B. Rysbekov (2011-2015), Abisheva Z. S. (2016-2019.)В 2000 году горный и металлургический факультеты были объединены в Горно-металлургический институт. В 2003 году ГМИ был реорганизован на Горный институт имени О.А.Байконурова и Институт металлургии и полиграфии.
In 2011, in order to concentrate the pedagogical and scientific potential of the University on the priority areas of development of science, technology and technology determined by the state, the University was restructured by the decision of the Academic Council Of the Kazakh national technical University named after K. I. Satpayev by order No. 421-p of 14.07.2011.
In July 2019, the Mining and metallurgical Institute was transformed into the Institute of Metallurgy and Industrial engineering. Educational programs were developed with the participation of foreign partner universities, educational and scientific laboratory "Operation of technological machines and automation of industrial complexes"was organized. Its accreditation and certification are planned, laboratory equipment and research laboratory "Biogeotechnology of gold, uranium and polymetallic ores" which is engaged in development of innovative technologies for gold and uranium mining enterprises are purchased..
Since June 01, 2020, the Institute is headed by Yelemessov Kassym Koptleuevich, candidate of technical Sciences, associate Professor, corresponding Member of the National Academy of mining Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
In order to implement a structured educational program in the field of production, Assembly of equipment and transport, as well as to improve the quality of graduate training in this area, an order was issued for the University to merge the Department of "Technological machines and equipment" and "Transport equipment" into the Department of "Technological machines, transport and logistics" from June 1, 2020.
Currently, the Institute has four graduate departments: "metallurgy and mineral processing"; "Metallurgical processes, heat engineering and technology of special materials", "Technological machines, transport and logistics" and "Engineering physics". The Institute employs experienced teachers, including holders of the title "Best teacher of the University", an Advisory Board from the production, which deals with issues of practice in the workplace and employment of graduates of the Institute. The Institute of Metallurgy and Industrial engineering trains students in 11 bachelor's degree programs, 13 master's degree programs, and 7 doctoral programs. The Institute trains bachelors, masters and PhD students in the state and Russian languages in the following educational programs: metallurgy and mineral processing; Operational and service engineering;Transport engineering; Engineering physics and materials science; Metallurgical engineering; mineral Processing; Automation and digitalization of metallurgical processes; materials Science and technology of new materials; Digital engineering of machinery and equipment; Physics; Transport services; logistics (by industry);
Currently, the Institute has more than 965 full-time students, 100 undergraduates and 34 doctoral students.
Scientific and pedagogical work is conducted by 87 teachers, including 9 doctors and 34 candidates of science, 18 PhD doctors. The Institute has 27 educational and scientific laboratories.
The main strategic partners of the institute with the industry are: Kazakhmys Corporation LLP, NAC Kazatomprom, Kazzinc LLP, Munaigas companies, KazFerroStal LLP, Uzenmunaigas, Mangistaumunaigas, Karachaganak Petroleum Ltd, Kazakhvzryvprom ", Mega Drive LLP; South Stroi Service LLP; Active-K LLP, Branch of Kazpost JSC EMS-Kazpost; JSC "Engineering Plant named after S.M. Kirov ”, Auto Center“ BIPEK AUTO ”; State institution "Inspection of transport control in the Almaty region"; MFS LLP, Zhanaozen; SAR avto LLP; LLP "Bus fleet number 3"; «YUKAS» LLP; SAR avto LLP; Oil transport corporation LLP, Intellservise LLP, Master print LLP, Duir LLP, Leader offset printing LLP, Art Printing House Group LLP, ARMAN techno LLP, Unique service LLP, LLP Az print Center, RK KIIK LLP, Institute of Polymer Materials and Technologies, Globopak LLP, Printing House Complex LLP, Polygraph Plant LLP, Gridan-Kommerz LLP, etc.
The structure of the Institute includes 5 graduate departments, Advisory Council, Laboratory "Operation of technological machines and automation of industrial complexes", the Council of young scientists of the Institute and"training ground of the Institute".
The Institute has strong links with the Colorado school of Mines (USA), Worcester Polytechnic University (USA), Moscow Institute of steel and alloys (MISIS), Silesian technical University (Poland), Suleiman Demirel University (Turkey), Scientific Institute. Weizmann (Israel), Magnitogorsk state technical University. G. I. Nosova (Russia), Bialystok technical University (Bialystok, Poland), Moscow automobile and road state technical University( Russia), Azerbaijan Technical University, (Russia) Baku, Azerbaijan), Ural Federal University (Ekaterinburg, Russia), Accreditation agencies: ASIIN, NAAR, nkaoko.
Employees of the Institute carry out scientific work in the amount of more than 500 million tenge. New scientific directions corresponding to real market demands of the metallurgical complex of the Republic were formed.
The teaching staff of the Institute is actively engaged in the development of educational, educational and methodical literature, both in the state and in Russian. Scientists of the Institute for the last year published 10 monographs, 17 articles in the journals Scopus/Web of Science, published 11 textbooks and manuals, more than 250 scientific articles and abstracts at international and national conferences.
Goals and objectives
- To improve education on the basis of multilevel system of training in Imobi and priorities of development of higher education and science.
- Integration of education and science on the basis of technologies of innovative development and use of intellectual potential of collective.
- Development of Institute of Metallurgy and Industrial engineering in part KazNAU them. K. I. Satpaeva as an Institute of innovative type on the basis of a combination of training with fundamental and applied scientific research.
- Use in the pedagogical process of new innovative technological and pedagogical solutions, ideas and principles of innovative educational technologies that provide multiple increases in the efficiency and quality of pedagogical work and educational work of students.
- Formation of a sustainable system of partnership of the Institute with leading firms, companies and higher education institutions.
- Commercialization of intellectual property and scientific developments.
- Formation of professional, instrumental, informational and social competencies of students, allowing to ensure their high competitiveness in the labor market, preparedness for production activities, management of labor collectives, norms of behavior in the business environment.
- Creation of a holistic three-stage model of training (bachelor — master-doctorate), based on the accumulating credit system of education;
- Implementation of the cultural project "Trinity of languages" with the priority development of the state language.
- Education of Kazakhstan patriotism among students, tolerance, high culture, respect for human rights and freedoms.
- Improvement of educational services on the basis of internal quality assessment system.
- Implementation of the results of research and development works by introducing them into production.
- Wide involvement of students by teachers in the implementation of scientific research.
Mission and strategy
As a leading University in technical education, Kazakh national research technical University named after K. I. Satpayev will contribute to the intellectual and professional development of society by training specialists with technical education of a new generation.
- Directing its activities to contribute to the development of a knowledge-based society through the provision of continuing education programmes;
- Development of students through research activities, critical thinking, development of professionally-oriented skills and abilities;
- Use of highly professional experience in teaching students in different educational environments;
- Training a new competitive generation of technicians for the labour market;
- Developing an environment that welcomes and supports people from different cultures and creating an atmosphere of commitment to knowledge, academic integration and intellectual motivation;
- Conducting research work, conducting educational activities based on world best practices, and developing its brand of training;
- Development of cooperation "University-industry" to meet the requirements of the labor market for technical specialists, to improve the quality of educational programs for training specialists for the economy and business;
- Development of additional educational and training programs using multimedia, new teaching technologies for the organization of training on the principle of lifelong learning;
- Establishing partnerships with other universities, organizations to improve the quality of education, to support technical and cultural ties.