Five main stages
can be distinguished in the development of one of the oldest educational institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan:
- 1934-1960 years – Kazakh Mining and Metallurgical Institute (KazMMI);
- 1960-1994 years – Kazakh Polytechnic Institute (KazPTI);
- From 1994 – Kazakh National Technic University (KazNTU).
- KazNTU was named after the outstanding scientist, academician Kanysh Imantaevich Satpaev in 1999 by the governmental order of the Republic of Kazakhstan due to its special merits in the preparation of engineering and technical professionals of the country.
- July 5, 2001 University was assigned a special status by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The History of the Kazakh National Technical University after K.I.Satpaev – the leader of the Engineering Education of the Republic is inextricably connected with the history of our country, its culture and system of higher education.
In 30-ies of XX century there was an urgent need of developing higher technical education in the country in order to eliminate the technical and economic backwardness of the national economy.
October 20, 1933 Kazakh Mining and Metallurgical Institute (KazMMI) with two departments: mining and was organized by the Resolution of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR "On the training of personnel for Kazakhstan" in the capital of Kazakhstan Almaty
September 19, 1934 the first bell of the first academic year rang at the Kazakh Mining and Metallurgical Institute.