Satbayev University is one of the oldest educational institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The history of Kazakh National Technical University named after K.I.Satbayev - the flagship of engineering education of the republic is inextricably linked with the history of our state, its culture and higher education system.
The opening of Military and Labor Glory Museum took place in 1978 on February 14 on the initiative of University’s veteran Mushtai Batyrbekovich Batyrbekov with the support of Rector of Kazakh Polytechnic Institute named after V.I. Lenin Abdygappar Ashimovich Ashimov, on the eve of University’s 70th anniversary.
Museum’s exposition area is more than 300 sq.m. Museum’s funds count more than three hundred storage units: photos and documentary materials on the history of its formation, unique personnel, graduates, including 7 Heroes of the Soviet Union, 6 Heroes of Socialist Labor, laureates of the USSR Lenin and State Prizes, academicians and corresponding member of RK NAS, modern activities of University.
Museum’s main objectives are:
- scientific popularization of University’s history with the purpose to create intellectual, creative, spiritual potential of students and preserve the continuity of the generation, propaganda of scientific ideas of K.I.Satbayev and his associates, outstanding graduates and teachers of Polytech;
- collection and preservation of historical materials showing the history of formation, development and current state of University.
The unique exhibits include:
- Charter of Kazakh Mining and Metallurgical Institute of 1934;
- a large book collection of K.I. Satbayev's works, magazines, copies of rare documents and photographs;
- drum VIE Dos Mukassan 1965;
- portraits of Rectors, rare photo-film documents about University.
Museum is particularly proud of the personal belongings of Academician K.I. Satbayev and the bookcase from his apartment.
Museum is constantly working hard to find new exhibits and increase the exposure. Museum regularly hosts exhibitions, round tables and seminars.
Since 2017, Museum has included the personal archive of Academician K.I.Satbayev, whose name has been borne by University since 1999.
Archive includes more than a thousand pieces of documents and exhibits.
Museum staff is always happy to welcome visitors and are ready to conduct interesting excursions for everyone who is interested in the history of legendary Polytech as well as Academician K.I. Satbayev’s life and work.
Museum opening hours: Monday-Friday from 9:00 to 17:00.
University guests can see Mineralogical Museum in Main Academic Building and Museum of Technology Development in Mining and Metallurgical Building as well.