Satbayev University is a national research university; it is a leading one in terms of research among all universities in Kazakhstan.
The structure of Satbayev University holding includes six research institutes:
Digital Technology and Automation Institute
An international-level developer in production automation field, big data and machine intelligence.
"Parassat" National Science and Technology Center
A scientific, technological and training center focused on creating the innovative elaborations in the areas of priority for Kazakhstani economy.
Metallurgy and Enrichment Institute
A major excellent research institute that carries out fundamental and applied research and development of new technologies in the field of mineral processing, metallurgy and materials science.
Physics and Technology Institute
One of the leading research institutes of Kazakhstan in the field of materials science, high-energy physics and cosmic rays.
Institute of Hydrogeology and Geo-ecology named after Akhmedsafina
The country's leading institute in the field of hydrogeology, geo-ecology and rational integrated use of subsurface water resources.
Geological Sciences Institute named after K.I. Satbayev
The leading geological research center of Kazakhstan, conducting research in the field of stratigraphy, mineralogy, geochemistry of solid, liquid and gaseous systems, the study of mineral deposits and petroleum geology.
Satbayev University conducts research in priority areas of Kazakhstan's science:
- Energy and mechanical engineering
- Rational use of water resources, flora and fauna, ecology
- Geology, mining and processing of mineral and hydrocarbon raw materials, new materials, technology, safe products and structures
- Information, communication and space technologies
- Sustainable development of agro-industrial complex and agricultural products safety
- The science of life and health
- Research in the field of social sciences and humanities
- Research in the field of education and science
- National security and defense
- Scientific research in the field of natural sciences
University cooperates with such enterprises as "Kazatomprom", "KazMunayGas", "KazTransOil", "Kazzinc", "Kazchrom" and “PetroKazakhstan Kumkol resources”, “Tospa su”, “Pavlodar petrochemical plant". The key areas of Satbayev University research are the development of projects in the artificial intelligence sphere and extracting hydrocarbons from alternative sources.
Research at University is carried out at specialized institutes’ departments, in research laboratories and affiliated research and production structures, such as “Digital technology and engineering”, “Institute of metallurgy and enrichment”, “Satbayev Institute of geological sciences”, and “International center for deposits analysis and development” that was created jointly with “Baker Hughes GE Company” multinational giant. 48% of University professors and teachers are involved in scientific work.
The projects implemented by Satbayev University scientists include:
Scientific and technical support for energy saving of oil and oil mixtures transportation via oil pipeline routes of JSC “KazTransOil”
The joint project of Satbayev University and JSC “KazTransOil”.
The project is dedicated to the development and implementation of Smart Tran innovative software package that manages and optimizes the process of pumping high-freeze and high-viscosity oil and oil mixtures through “KazTransOil” major oil pipelines. The complex empowers to increase the speed and efficiency related to decision-making and reduce operating costs for oil transportation.
Electric buses production under Quazar brand in the framework of "Higer Quazar” joint venture
Satbayev University joint venture & Higer Holdings Co LTD
The project is aimed at developing "green technologies" and switching to "green" transport by introducing electric buses to replace diesel buses. The project transfers Swedish and Chinese technologies into the energy conservation sphere. In the future, this will form the scientific basis for our own developments.
"Joint investment venture of Satbayev University and “Arcelor Mittal Temirtau” for exploration and production of methane from coal mines in Karaganda coal basin
Satbayev University & ArcelorMittal Gas Production joint venture "Suamgas"
The project is aimed at developing the energy sector and solving the methane issue in mines in order to obtain high-value methane production and processing products. As part of the project, work is underway in 8 mines, a method for calculating reserves has been developed and methane reserves in these mines have been calculated.
“International center for deposits analysis and development”
Satbayev University, Baker Hughes, and General Electric Company joint investment venture
The center was created for the purpose of developing innovative projects using advanced technologies for oil-gas, mining and metallurgical industries, creating a knowledge base and improving specialists’ skills. One of the company's projects for Satbayev University and “ArcelorMittal Temirtau” joint venture is the search, exploration and development of deposits, as well as coal bed methane.
Artificial intelligence system "Center for efficiency management”
A joint project of “Digital engineering and technology Institute” and JSC “Gazprom oil”
Management system of drilling operations by application of artificial intelligence. The center controls processes that may affect the operation of drilling rig equipment, operating modes and energy consumption, monitors pre-emergency situations and eliminates emergency events as well as analyzes efficiency, performs optimization planning of work for 60 days ahead.
Construction object monitoring system "Intellectual and analytical center"
A joint project of JSC "Digital engineering and technology institute" and JSC "Baiterek Development»
Interactive artificial intelligence system that allows real-time monitoring of the construction and financing of residential complexes throughout Kazakhstan. The system is based on a facial recognition system, construction elements and types of equipment that empowers to control construction process, manage supervisors of technical supervision. Information is displayed on the portal intended for local executive bodies within "Nurly Zher" program.
University scientists take an active part in research in collaboration with the world’s prominent scientists. Researchers include faculty, visiting scientists, postgraduates and students who create innovations for priority areas of the Kazakhstani economy. Many of them have received regional and national awards for their work:
- Gold medal named after V. I. Blinnikov
- Head of “Petroleum engineering” department Murat Syzdykov, Regional award for contribution to the development of SPE for young professionals
- Lecturer Veronika Mussabayeva, Three "Silver diplomas" and a special prize of International jury of "AOK'LD award-2020» landscape design exhibition
- Professor Zinesh Sadyrovna Abisheva, "Kurmet" order
- Professor Zhasulan Mukashevich Tahanov, "Kurmet" order
- State prize of Republic of Kazakhstan-2019 in science and technology sphere named after al-Farabi:
- Rector of University, Doctor of Economics, Professor, academician of National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan Iskander Beissembetov;
- “Metallurgy and enrichment Institute” Director, doctor of technical sciences, Professor, honorary academician of National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan Bagdaulet Kenzhaliyev;
- Head of "Computer modeling and software" department at “Energy system modeling” scientific-production laboratory Timur Bekibayev;
- “Energy system modeling” scientific-production laboratory Head, doctor of technical sciences, professor, academician of Kazakhstan National Academy of natural sciences Uzak Zhapbasbayev.
- Professor Sarkyt Kudaibergenov, K. I. Satbayev prize for the best scientific research in the natural sciences field;
- Satbayev University Board of Directors’ chairperson Murat Zhurinovich Zhurinov, Petr Kapitsa gold medal.
The high publication activity of the university was noted by international agencies. In 2019, Satbayev University was recognized as the leader of Kazakhstan in the number of published articles by Scopus and was among the most cited universities in Kazakhstan by Web of Science.
- “Scopus Award 2019” in “High Performance Award "category
- "Science leader – Web of Science Awards" reward in "Leader in the number of scientific publications in "Web of Science Core Collection" proceedings for the last five years among Kazakhstan’s technical universities"